The results are in and confirmed what we have known all along: Concordia is one of the best places for young families in Kansas. Nerdwallet is a think tank that specializes in providing financial information for consumers. Their board is full of, well, nerds who every year complete an analysis of Kansas communities.
According to Spencer Tierney with nerdwallet:
In our study, we looked at three factors that drive one of the biggest decisions of your life-- where to raise your kids.
1. Public school excellence. For school quality, we gathered GreatSchools data, which compares students’ test scores and other statewide data and ranks schools on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the highest.
2. Home affordability. Using U.S. Census Bureau data, we weighed median home values and monthly homeownership costs, including mortgage payments, real estate taxes, insurance costs, utilities, fuel and other bills. Places with more affordable homes had higher scores.
3. Growth and prosperity. We assessed a place’s economy using census figures that detailed median household incomes from 2012, and long-term income growth since 1999.
Our analysis revealed certain trends:
Highways are nearby. From Interstate 35 near Wichita to Johnson County suburbs, the top cities tend to be close to major highways.
Affordable homes are available. Compared to the state median home value of $127,400 in 2012, none of the top eight places had median values higher than $170,000.
City projects are in the works. Many of the top 10 places have plans to build out downtowns to upgrade walking and shopping for residents and visitors.
Concordia was ranked number 12 on this list- a pretty respectable spot for a rural community. Our big take aways are:
1. Our location on US 81 gives us many opportunities
2. Projects like the Concordia Park Project and Broadway Plaza only elevate our city as an ideal place to raise families.
Keep up the good work Concordia!
Read the full article here.