Kansas Small Business Consultant - Fort Hays University
Small Business Development Center
Job Posting Title
Kansas SBDC Small Business Consultant - East Region
Position Description: The Small Business Consultant is a critical member of the Kansas Small Business Development Center (Kansas SBDC) team that is responsible for providing financial and managerial counseling, advising, and training to existing small businesses and entrepreneurs. This position should be located in any of the following counties: Republic, Cloud, Ottawa, Saline, Ellsworth Lincoln, Mitchell, or Jewell. The position could be located in either Smith, Osborne, Russell, or Barton counties. The selected candidate will office-from-home and receive reimbursement for business-related travel and communications expenses. Position requires a high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
• Bachelor's Degree in Business, Management, Accounting, or a related field
• Three to five years of related, professional experience in at least three of the following areas: developing business plans, developing loan packages, accounting, teaching, economic development, B2B Sales, management consulting, business ownership, marketing, management, or finance
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Ability to work independently
• Mature judgment and ability to work constructively with others, sometimes with difficult people
• Maintain a professional work environment and businesslike appearance
• Attention to detail and performs duties well under pressure
• Must have reliable vehicular transportation and be able to drive to meeting locations, sometimes overnight. Must be able to travel infrequently out of state.
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and enterprise systems (CRM, ERP, SharePoint, Workday, Neoserra, QuickBooks, Zoho, Thryv, etc.) at a high degree of proficiency
• MBA/Master’s degree or higher
• 3-5 years of experience in a management position
• Entrepreneur who has started and successfully exited a small business
• Experience with small business environment, Small Business Development Centers, or University setting
• Certified QuickBooks Instructor or ability to become certified in first 6 months
Application Deadline: December 1, 2019. Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
• Provides timely and professional advisory/counseling/consulting for assigned clients.
• Conducts small business training for clients and pre-clients.
• Observe budget, finance, travel, purchasing (including P-card), and all reporting activities in accordance with Federal, State, department, and University guidelines.
• Communicates with clients, students, University staff, and senior representatives at state and federal agencies on a routine basis, often regarding confidential issues.
• Prepares timely and detailed activity reports.
• Coordinates, develops, compiles, drafts, reviews, and makes ready for Director's signature/approval a variety of electronic and paper-based reports and documents.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Search Committee Chair